There are many scenarios in which you might wish to attain a business enterprise. Whatever the situation, we are able to take the stress out and maximise the opportunity for you.
Whether you are considering buying a business or merging with another business, we have the experience and the expertise you need. We ask the right questions, and find the necessary answers. Are you getting a good deal? Is the business right for you? Can you afford it? Have all avenues for future growth been investigated?
The services we provide incorporate every stage of the process - from identifying potential acquisitions, through to the negotiations of the commercial elements of the transaction, through to forecasting the future of the business.
This can include:
- A review of your goals and objectives
- Due diligence services
- Preparation of cashflow projections
- Advice on potential pitfalls and rewards involved in a merger
- Assistance with purchase negotiations
- Advice on financing
- Assistance with preparation of a business plan
Calling on the skills of our professional team means you will be far less likely to purchase an unsuitable business. Let us show you how our experience can assist, and provide you with the great opportunity a business acquisition can be.
We can help you turn your business idea into a reality.
Do you have a good idea for a new business venture but don't have expertise in the legal or financial aspects of creating a new business?
We can help you:
- Decide on the most suitable structure for your business - sole trader, partnership, trust or limited company
- Prepare a business plan, cashflow projections, budgets and trading forecasts\
- Assess your finance requirements, advise on the structuring your finance, draw up the necessary proposals and meeting with your financier
- Establish a good working relationship with your bank
- Register for an Australian Business Number with the ATO
- Register for GST and others as required
- Complete registration procedures with Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Deal with company secretarial issues
- Set up a recording system for your internal use and for complying with statutory requirements
We will partner with you and assist with every step along the way to your success.
Selling a business can be a complex and emotional time. The tasks involved in selling a business can seem particularly arduous. We are able to assist you to plan the timing of the sale to minimise the tax effect while maximising the return of your business sale.
Our friendly and professional team will work through the processes with you to:
- Prepare sale documents
- Assist with due diligence enquires
- Attend to de-registrations
- Complete structure changes
Business Growth and Improvement
Would you like to know the financial effect of a business decision before you make it? Would you like have strategies to improve your profits and monitor the successes of these? Do you know what your industries key performance indicators are and how you compare? Do you want to grow your business?
We can provide you with accurate, timely information - allowing you to:
- Create and monitor strategies
- Understand the financial effect of business decisions before you make them
- Set key performance indicators suitable to your business targets
- Analyse results
- Understand where your money is going
- Armed with this information, we will work with you to develop and monitor strategies to improve your bottom line and grow your business.
Contact us today for more information on how we are able to assist you in improving and growing your business.
Company legislation requires businesses to perform many administration tasks which can take up a lot of valuable company time. The last thing you need as a business owner is to be stressed out understanding and ensuring you are complying with the Corporations Law.
The possible threat of penalties for failing to keep up with the changing rules is too great a risk to take.
We are able to relieve this burden for you. Our services include:
- General advice on company law
- Company formations
- Filing of annual returns on your behalf
- Preparation of all documentation relating to minutes and resolutions
- Maintenance of statutory books
- Assistance in changes of directors, shareholders, addresses and office details
- Bonus issues
- Share transfers
- Registered office facility
As unpleasant as the task is, estate planning is one of the necessities in life. It allows peace of mind knowing your hard earned assets will be dealt with in the manner you choose.
For business owners, a plan for succession of ownership is essential. We can guide you through the process of providing for business continuity.
We will work closely with you and other professionals to ensure your objectives for your estate are well documented for your peace of mind.
Smith Thornton provide Financial Advisory through joint venture partner Knight Financial Advisors (Knight). We believe by offering quality financial advice that aligns with and compliments your accounting and taxation advice we can ensure you get the best possible results.
Knight provide high quality strategic financial and investment advice. They work with you, and in consultation with us, to help you develop financial plans that align with your life goals and objectives. Their team's expert advice covers strategic advice preparation, individually designed investment portfolios, life and income protection insurances, superannuation structuring, retirement planning and estate planning. We look forward to working with you and Knight to help create wealth and plan your financial independence.
If you would like further information on Knight please visit their website
Industry Specific Accounting
Our team has extensive training and experience in various specialist industries:
Our team have the expertise to provide you with specific business and taxation advice required by this specialist service industry. We understand the complexity of the ownership and operational structures required and we keep ourselves abreast of legislative changes.
Hospitality & Tourism
Our team works closely with clients in different sectors of this industry including restaurants, cafés, accommodation and hotels. We understand the specialist requirements involved in each sector. By developing systems we can assist in monitoring key areas to maximise income.
Farming accounting involves specific business, financial, and taxation issues, and as such requires a specialist understanding of the industry. We keep abreast of the developments in both the farming and accounting industries, putting us in a position to provide up-to-date and accurate advice. We carefully plan ownership structures for successful succession of your farming property and business.
We understand the importance of monitoring stock movements and develop systems to control this. Our team can assist in important areas such as pricing, gross margins and overhead costs.
The wine industry involves specific business, financial, and taxation issues, and as such requires a specialist understanding. We keep abreast of the developments to maximize the industry incentives putting us in a position to provide up-to-date and accurate advice.
Our team have the necessary expertise to assist in a variety of areas in relation to residential and commercial property.
The services we offer our clients include:
- Advice on the purchasing of a property
- Advice on funding
- Guidance in tax minimization
- Advice on ownership structure
- Periodic reviews to ensure returns are maximized
The importance of forecasts in making a residential investment cannot be emphasised enough. We are able to provide for you:
- Forecasts of revenue returns
- Forecasts of financial position
- Forecasts of potential growth
Contact us today for more information on how we can assist you in the business of rental properties!
To ensure the long-term success of your business, it is critical to establish a well-designed succession plan. Coordinating the transition of your business to your successors can be an arduous process. However, with our years of experience we can address the complex issues of business continuation, removing the stress from your shoulders.
Contact us for more information on forming a plan that facilitates a hassle-free continuation of your business!
As the Government encourages Australians to take responsibility for and reach their financial retirement goals, we are all now required to deal with Superannuation funds.
Self-managed Superannuation is a means of saving for retirement. It allows you to control your investment strategy, reduce tax while obtaining planned tax benefits, and control administration costs.
Superannuation law is a delicate area and personalised planning is required for each individual. We have a team of superannuation experts, and can assist you in establishing a superannuation fund that will effectively allow you to reach your financial retirement goals.
Services we offer include:
- Establishment of Self Managed Superannuation Funds
- Completion of Information for the Australian Taxation Office
- Superannuation Audits
- Advice concerning Compliance Matters
- Advice concerning Taxation Benefits
- Advice on Employer obligations
- Setup and maintenance of Aged Pensions
A trust provides a valuable way of protecting the assets you have accumulated for the benefit of others.
We have extensive experience and so are able to offer specialist advice on Trust formation, ensuring that all statutory requirements are met. Obligations for trustees can often be onerous, and our assistance in Trust administration will also be invaluable.
We are able to:
- Prepare and execute the vital documentation involved in Trust formation
- Attend to the special requirements involved in reporting for Trusts
- Complete Trust administration tasks including:
- Minute keeping service
- Annual accounts
- Asset management
- Investment monitoring
- Income distributions