Fulfilling a dual role, firstly as a support role to the qualified accountants of Smith Thornton (provide quality bookkeeping/accountant data) and secondly the provision of bookkeeping and administrative services to business clients.
Both these roles will be accomplished by applying basic accounting principles and procedures to the collecting, collating and data input of banking transactions into electronic accounting software products (multiple varieties) and preparation of rudimentary financial reports.
This role also extends to providing BAS/GST/PAYGW compliance functions for business clients of Smith Thornton.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Using different varieties of electronic accounting software, data input of business income and expenses, and conduct journal entries as required.
- Be accountable for the accurate analysis, recording, and categorising of income and expenses that is consistent with Smith Thornton chart of accounts.
- As support role to the accountants of Smith Thornton, liaise directly with these accountants (and associated clients) regarding clients bookkeeping and accounting matters.
- Through an intimate understanding of accounting software tools, produce rudimentary financial reports on either monthly, quarterly or annual reporting periods. (Rudimentary financial reports refer to cash flow reporting showing the categories of income and expenses in a manner that is generally consistent with Smith Thornton chart of accounts. Also BAS/GST reports that group transactions in a manner that will assist in determining accuracy, and facilitate the preparation of BAS reporting and lodgement).
- Apply analytical skills to reading and understanding rudimentary financial reports for the purposes of recognising obvious errors.
- Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Monitor and support taxation compliance functions relating to BAS/GST/PAYGW and annual reporting requirements.
- Develop and maintain business client electronic accounting databases, data security and integrity.
- As a support role to the accountants of Smith Thornton, assist and consult direct to business clients for tailored bookkeeping solutions (including payroll).
- As a support role to the accountants of Smith Thornton, provide on-site assistance, training and support direct to business clients for initial set-up of their own internal bookkeeping solution, including design of chart of accounts, invoice set-up, supplier and customer set-up, payroll set-up, training of client in data entry, bank reconciliation and service follow-up.
Education & Experience
- Certificate IV in Bookkeeping
- Formal TAFE/Institute of Technology equivalent qualifications (or higher) in accounting.
- Alternative to formal qualifications: Self-taught with a number of years in own or other businesses with proven successful performance in bookkeeper administrative functions using current accounting software and related technology. Testimonials, references and other evidence essential.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to develop effective and efficient systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and be well spoken and presented.
- Excellent organisation skills with the ability to prioritise your workload.
- Information and task monitoring.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Judgment and first-rate problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable and proficient with Information Technology.
- Supervisory skills.
- Customer service and negotiation skills.
Full time preferred but part time considered for the right applicant.
Email applications to email@example.com.